Professional LearningThe Public Schools of Northborough and Southborough professional learning is designed to develop educators’ knowledge and understanding, sustain growth and lead to refinements in practice. This is a collaborative and iterative process that expands educators’ capacity to improve student learning. The District’s professional learning culture is built on a foundation of trust, mutual interdependence, an active role by all educators, and a shared belief that improved student learning must remain the ongoing goal of all professional learning.
The following are tenants of the District’s professional learning experiences:
Professional Development Overview
- Experiences that are ongoing and situated within the educator’s practice, rather than “one‐shot” or “one and done” experiences that may or may not connect to practice (except in limited circumstances)
- Continuous cycles of doing, reflecting/discussing, and refinement
- Feedback loops from colleagues, coaches, and/or supervisors to assist the educator in reflecting on practice and determining any changes that may be necessary
- Data supports the ongoing improvement of teaching and learning
- External research and access to experts helps support the development of educators' instructional practice and content knowledge
- Learning about content, balanced with learning about pedagogy
Professional Development Overview - 2022-2023
In the 2022-2023 academic year, educators will be engaged in two building-based Professional Development (PD) days, a District Professional Development Day, a teacher return day, and six hours of professional development.
Day 1: August 29, 2022 - Building-Based Professional Development Day (District Welcome, Mandatory Training, and Faculty Meetings)
Day 2: August 30, 2022 - Professional Development Day (Teacher Return Day)
Day 3: November 8, 2022 - District Professional Development Day
Day 4: May 9, 2023 - Building-BasedProfessional Development Day
Day 5: Flexible PD: Converted to six hours of PD to be completed between July 1, 2022, and June 30, 2023.