School Start Time Introduction
\\ <Introductory Message on District Initiatives>
Summary of Start Time Study Group Activities – 2015-2016
The 2015-2016 goal of the School Start Time Study Group was to continue exploring feasible
options and to engage the K-8 community in start time education. The following is a summary
of actions in support of goal:
• The Start Time Study Group met four times this year to continue our conversations about the
rationale and potential implementation of a change in the start time.
• The District provided funding for Dr. Judith Owens to present to the greater school
community, the Superintendent’s Curriculum Advisory, and school committee members.
The District extended an invitation to AVC Superintendents to participate. The event was
open to the public and available for viewing via public access and our website.
• A presentation was made to the Superintendent’s Advisory Committee prior to Dr. Owen’s
• A survey was shared that evening and the link was made available through our District
Doings in successive months. Our website contains literature on the value of later start
• Continued analysis of our current bus routes generated (4) proposals that may be cost
• Mary Hamaker, member of the study group, submitted (2) additional schedules and bell
schedules for no cost options.
• The proposed routes were with K-12 administrators
• The high school administration surveyed the staff to identify which start times were
• The high school administration reviewed schedules to comply with mandated 990 hours and
reviewed scheduling options proposed by staff
• Kathleen Polutchko, Chairperson of the Regional School Committee and the Superintendent
attended a panel discussion on Start Time sponsored by MASC.
• A presentation was made to the AVC Board of Directors because of member Districts
increased interest in learning more about the start time study. Members of the Start Time
Study Group presented to the AVC Board.
• NRT reviewed proposed schedules for feasibility and cost
Recommendation: Given the cost variables to implement the proposed scheduling models, we
have requested that NRT conduct additional reviews of options as discussed at our last Start
Time Study Group meeting on June 7, 2016.
Respectfully submitted by:
Christine M. Johnson
Superintendent of Schools
Combined School Committee
June 15, 2016