• requirements for medication administration

    Under Massachusetts General Law Chapter 105 CMR-1171, a licensed nurse must have a medication order from a licensed prescriber in order to administer any medication, whether it is a prescription drug or an over-the-counter medication.  The following policy applies in the Northborough-Southborough School District.


    School policy prohibits students from carrying medications, either prescribed or over-the-counter, on their person or having them in their possession.  The only exceptions are:


         Epi-pens and inhalers may be carried on their person, with a written order from a licensed prescriber on file in the health office.


    No medication will be administered in school without a written order from a licensed prescriber.  This written order must be signed and dated for a closed period of time and include instructions for dispensing.  The only exception is:


         The school physician provides a standing medication order that allows the administration of either acetaminophen or ibuprofen one or two times (per student) per academic year and only with parental permission.  Students who are 18 years of age, or older, will not need parental permission to obtain the medications as ordered. 


         For short term prescription medication, those requiring administration for ten (10) school days or less, the pharmacy labeled container may be used in lieu of a prescriber’s order.  If the nurse has a question, a written order from a licensed prescriber may be requested.


    In addition, a written dated request signed by a parent/guardian must be submitted to the nurse concerning the dispensing of medication.


    Prescribed medications and over-the-counter medications to be administered under the conditions stated above must be brought to the nurse by the parent or guardian in the original properly labeled container.


    Each school calendar year requires a new written order from the licensed prescriber and written parent/guardian request for the dispensing of the medication.  Written parent/guardian consent forms and licensed prescriber order forms can be found on this website under Medical Forms or obtained from the school nurse.